Monday, June 1, 2009

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - NDS (part 2)

So it finally ends, with a lightning spell to a big brown dragon - the Shadow Dragon. 

For some reason, this game felt amazingly long. I spent only nineteen hours on it in recorded time, but it felt like fifty. I guess it was because of the agonizing defeats along the way. 

Fire Emblem revolves around Marth, our displaced hero of Altea out to get revenge for those who destroyed his kingdom. Of course there is a conniving neighbor king, an evil wizard, and a dragon. I won't go into detail about the fellows he met and joined his cause, but it does help putting some names down for my final roster. I kept Abel (level 9 Paladin) and Cain (level 1 Paladin) and Frey as my knights. Then I had Wolfe, Merric, and Shiida. Tiki, the dragon princess, played a sacrificial role. I had to use Beck, the ballistician, to knock off other ballistas. I had one swordmaster and two heroes also, but they just played minor roles.

To defeat the end, I think you'd either have to have the Falchion sword, or bring the wizard up to the dragon and have him use Thorn. I didn't think it was that easy so I spent a lot of time restarting; trying to find the perfect way to get all my ways to the end without dying. It was impossible for me, so I ended up sacrificing a lot of key characters. In the end, the plan worked, and I was awarded a simple ending. I got to see Marth and Shiida finally come through with their feelings, and the credits began to roll. 

All in all, I think this was a good game for the NDS. It took advantage of the dual screens nicely; one for profiles, and one for the map. The menus were fast, and the story was quite compelling - although it was recycled from the 1990's version. I think if you can get through the defeats (and you will see the game over screen often), you'll enjoy this game. I don't think I'll be replaying it though. Next up: Valkyrie Profile, the covenant of the plume. 

Completion: Finished the game (with deaths)
Hours Spent: 18 Hrs 53 mins + 4 Hrs (dead time)

No comments: