Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Final Fantasy 12 - PS2 (part 2)


Traveling through the lush Tchita Uplands I noticed some new leopard-like monsters, the yellow Coeurls. These guys roamed in packs and pack quite a punch with their speed and magic. They give up about 1800 experience points each, but what you can nab from them changes the game. They dropped Embroidered Tippets.
These accessories double your EXP. Yes, that's what you need to get ahead in Final Fantasy games. For FF12, only those who are in battle will get EXP, but for LP even those who are not active will gain. I stole three of the Tippets and equipped them to each of my active members and then have those who aren't in my party equip Golden Amulets, so those who are in battle get double EXP and those who aren't get double LP. From there on, I jumped from level 42 to 50.

I'm still playing FF12 even though the PSN is finally up, I figure I'm too invested in the journey now. Can't let Vaan and his cohorts down. So after the Feywood and the magic city of Giruvegan, I arrived at the Port of Balfonheim. The bald skypirate Reddas joined me there. With the NPC, I decided to rack up on some more Hunts. I geared up, bought new magicks, and got ready for a string of boss battles. It also helped that at Balfonheim you could purchase teleport stones.

I quickly finished up all the Rank V hunts with little difficulty. Here's the deal: offensive Magick and Espers don't mean much in this game. At least in this stage of the game. What does matter is enhancements and emfeeblements. Keep your buffs up and dispel the ones off your enemy and you're going to be just fine. I usually equip Basch and Vaan with katanas, although it is not as strong as a spear or axe the multi-hits make them deadly. Then you buff them up protect, haste, and berserk. That's about it, I have one healer and two guys slashing away. That plan worked up until, well I started taking on the Rank VII Hunts. The fight with Gilgamesh was one that went sour.

I got killed by Gilgamesh not because I was level 52. This was not because I was low in level, but instead because he used Level 2 Sleep, Level 3 Confuse, and Level 4 blind. That totally made it hard for my guys to fight him. After a horrible Game Over screen, I learned my mistake. I leveled up to 53, a prime number. The rest is history. I did love the many swords that Gilgamesh had. I was trying to figure out the swords myself, then I learned that hey, some guys already did. He welds (1) Cloud Strife's Buster Sword, (2) Squall Leonhart's Revolver blade, (3) Tidus's Brotherhood, (4) Odin's Zantetsuken, (5) Zidane Tribal's Orichalcum, (6) Sir Erdrick's Wyrmhero Blade, and the (7) Tournesol. For more details about Gilgamesh, check this wiki out.

After that battle, I acquired the Masamune and the full set of Genji Armor, which I stole from Gilgamesh. I also got the Zodiac spear from the Necrohol of Nabudis. From here, I think I'm going to return to the story as I've swayed from it for so long.

Lastly, I started to notice a lot of references to previous games in FF12. The names of weapons. the names of airships, and even characters. Yeah, they're all from previous games. Here's another wiki that compiled the allusions of FF12:

Enjoy.

No comments: