Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Romance of the Three Kingdoms III - SNES

A couple of retro-posts from here on. I want to say something about Romance of the Three Kingdoms 3. Not only is it the first RTK game I've ever played, but it's the one that I played the most. I played it so much that I remember the songs, the menus, and most of the character's images. Heck, me and my buddies remembered a lot of the key characters' traits. It was sickening, yet it was a game that we loved. 

The game is simple, build a city, raise an army and reunify ancient China. How hard can that be? Well, according to Koei Games, that structure has led to the publishing of eleven games and counting. I never played the first two, but the this third one really introduced me to simulation gaming. 

The reason why I like this one is because the stuff you did in the "non-crucial" months actually work. Yes, sometimes spreading rumors did decrease your opponents' vassal's loyalty. Yes, you can recruit people from other towns, and if they are the only person in that town, you can take it! Yes, sometimes you can set arson to the enemies' cities, and this does help in a long drawn out war. 

I even remember the slew of fictional characters I put into the game. Insane how the simplest games are the ones you remember. Maybe it's also because I'm Chinese-American that I feel especially connected to this one. 

Completion: Beat the game multiple times in multiple settings
Hours Spent: approx. 150 hrs



No comments: